This book was first published in 1958 under the title Shri Narasimha Saraswati: Charitra ani Parampara (Shri Narasimha Saraswati: Life and Traditions).
Expanded editions were published in 1964 and 1988. This is the fourth reprint. Perhaps the first historical account of the subject in Marathi, it has been prescribed for postgraduate study at the university level.
The book discusses the following topics:
- Enigma of the Datta incarnation.
- Origin and development of Datta worship.
- The Life and Work of Narasimha Saraswati
- Datta-worshipping sadhus and sages
- Datta worship outside Maharashtra.
- The Datta Cult.
- Four main centers of Datta worship.
- Miscellaneous topics